Monday, November 11, 2013

It's all About Me....Right?

       As I get older one thing that I'm beginning to notice is the pattern of life: the cycle it creates. It might go a little something like this:


 Your born, you attend Elementary school, you join a few teams/clubs, you go to middle school, go to high school, maybe get a few awards here and there, then you generally will find a college to attend, you then go to college, graduate with a major you hopefully enjoy, find a job, get married, and then have kids. Then you watch your kids repeat
that same cycle.

     Lately I feel as though I want something more. I don't mean to diminish the significance of any of the above life events, they are all milestones and are important. But, instead of focusing on only myself I've begun to ask the questions:

 How can my life positively effect the lives of those around me? How can I make a difference in the world I live?


      As a human being  (which you are since your reading this) it's nearly impossible to not notice what is going on in the world in which we live. All it takes is watching one minute of the local news station to know that we live in a world full of brokenness. Maybe it's just me, but the more and more I hear about people suffering the more I want to do something about it.

      To be honest; their have been many times that I have felt as though I'm wasting time (no, I am not only talking about all the time that I waste aimlessly on Facebook). I want to be out changing the world. I want to show love to those who never receive it and I want to listen to them as they share their stories. I want to live a life more like Jesus.

Can I be more like Jesus?

      I don't know about you but sometimes I get tired of all the meaningless things we allow ourselves to be consumed with. One of the many things that I admire about Jesus's time on earth is the self-less life He lived and the self-less life He desired for His disciples (the 12 men that followed Jesus and told others about Him). Jesus went from town to town showing love to all of the people; it wasn't about Him.He offered the greatest sacrifice by dying on the cross for our sins; that is the ultimate self-less love.

My prayer
         I desire greatly to travel the world and share the love of God with others but in the meantime I want to know what it means to live a self-less life.

   "He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked." 1 John 2:6


Ask yourself the following questions:  How can my life positively effect the lives of those around me? How can I make a difference in the world I live?  


 Gabrielle 



No comments:

Post a Comment